Las Vegas giant Wynn Resorts (WYNN) announced Sunday that it is temporarily closing its Wynn Las Vegas and Encore properties for two weeks beginning March 17 to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
The company said it’s committed to pay all full-time Wynn and Encore employees during the closure in a statement provided to Yahoo Finance.
“The closure will be effective Tuesday, March 17 at 6 pm [PT] and is expected to be in effect for two weeks, after which time the Company will evaluate the situation,” a statement from the company said. “A limited number of employees and management will remain at the resort to secure and maintain the facility.”
On Sunday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced it was intensifying its social distancing guidelines to recommend that gatherings of 50 people or more be canceled or postponed across the U.S.
Wynn was previously hit by the spread of coronavirus in China as the casino operator was forced to suspend operations in Macau for two weeks. Wynn shares have fallen 45% in the past month.
Zack Guzman is the host of YFi PM as well as a senior writer and on-air reporter covering entrepreneurship, cannabis, startups, and breaking news at Yahoo Finance. Follow him on Twitter @zGuz.
Read the latest financial and business news from Yahoo Finance
Why the US shouldn’t cheer the crash in oil prices like Trump just did
Coronavirus causes Sir Richard Branson to postpone the launch of his new Virgin Voyages cruise line